REGISTRAR GENERAL’S DEPARTMENT
Ground floor, Ministerial Complex,
Botanical Gardens, Tanteen,
St. George’s, Grenada, W.I.
This unit is responsible for working with all stakeholders to improve the standard of Electrical installation work in the State by promoting safety of persons, property and livestock to aid in the prevention of potential dangers of fire and other hazards.
The staff includes Electrical Engineers, Inspectors, and Clerical Assistants.
- Inspection and testing of all new installations additions extensions, alterations before electricity is supplied to the installation
- Periodic inspection of electrical installations, (Government Buildings and public places)
- Advise on Electrical Installation Practices
- Coordination of the Electrical Wireman’s License Examination
- Promote and maintain adherence to the Electrical codes namely the IEE Wiring Regulations (Required electrical installation in Grenada) and the Grenada Building Guidelines
- After the completion of wiring your premises, obtain an application form from your licensed Wireman or Electrician. (A separate application is needed for each installation whether it’s a new installation, extension or alteration. The form must be properly filled out and signed by a Licensed Wireman)
- The relevant Inspection Fees should then be paid to the Treasury, the district revenue office in your area or the treasury sub-office located at the Government Printery in the Botanical Gardens before submission to the Electrical Unit within the Ministry of Works.
- Areas of irregularities will be noted on the application form provided and given to the home owner to facilitate the necessary corrective works. The Unit should be informed subsequently upon completion of the corrective works. (A new application will be required whenever an application fails.)
- An inspection Certificate of Approval will be issued if the installation meets the required standards. This will be followed by electricity being installed to your premises which is done by the Grenada Electricity Services Ltd.